Termites are soft-bodied insects commonly known as “chi-chi” or“duck ants”, however, termites are not ants at all.
Environment and behaviour
Termite live in colonies underground, from which they access buildings by tunnels in search of food; able to reach food above the ground level by building mud tubes; dependent on moisture for survival.
Diet consists of wood and other cellulose material. Damage to wood based structures by termites in Jamaica is said to be in the millions and this is on an annual basis.
Signs of infestation
Termites rarely emerge from soil, mud tubes, or food sources through which they are tunneling. Most people are not aware they have termites until they see a swarm or come across damage during construction.
Swarming of winged termites who are attracted to lights.
This is prevalent with Drywood Termites and appears as small, ridged, wood-colored pellets.
These maybe seen along walls or protruding from ceilings.
Of the same size, cloudy or smoky shredded near an entry point to your home.
- Caulk cracks in the foundation and around utility lines or pipes.
- Ensure drainage sites remain clean and effective.
- Cover exposed wood surfaces with a sealant or metal barrier.
- Eradicate the collection of moisture by fixing pipes, A/C units, and other home fixtures prone to leaking.
- Ensure that trees and shrubs are not planted too close to the structure and do not allow them to grow against exposed wood surfaces.Inspect periodically to help ensure that termite colonies do not become established.
Termite Treatment in Jamaica:
G.O. Pest Control Services will undertake inspection of your property to ascertain the type of termite present, implement to correct treatment to rid your property of the pest and undertake monitoring and help protect your home for any future signs of termite activity.